A leader without a follower is simply taking a walk without knowing.
– Ancient Proverb (multiple attributions)
With an escalating amount change, uncertainty and cynicism in our world today, we need mutual leadership. This is when leaders and followers work together with a healthy respect and understanding for each other.
What good leaders should understands about followers:
- Know the kind of followers you want. (demographics)
- Know how to motivate and influence your followers. (psychographics)
- The trust of your followers is more important than their approval.
- Without followers, you are no longer truly a leader.
What good followers should understand about leaders:
- Know the kind of leader you want.
- Realize leaders are fallible. Don’t expect perfection.
- Strong leaders are characterized by fostering growth, not dependency.
- Recognizing the point above, don’t abdicate your own leadership out of fear.
Creating an environment where strong and competent leaders are paired with healthy and confident followers could change the world as we know it.